Image Map

Friday, April 15

Weekend Getaway: Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain, Ga.

Why was Easter so early this year? For me, Lent seemed to be extremely long, but then all of a sudden—BAM! It was Easter weekend. My parents are in the process of buying a house in Amelia Island, Fla. and we were thinking we would spend the weekend of Easter there. But of course, life never goes as planned and instead we found ourselves at a cottage on the Callaway Gardens property.

Originally I was hesitant, only because I wasn't sure what we might do with Fitz and Alex at Callaway for an entire weekend. Like with 98% of everything, I worried for naught.

Callaway Gardens, located in precious Pine Mountain, Ga. actually has a lot to offer families with kids of all ages. Since it rained off and on the entire time we were there, we didn't fully enjoy the hiking and biking trails, and the real star of the spring: Callaway's famous azaleas weren't fully in bloom yet. Even factoring that in we had an incredible time.

The cottages were fully stocked and made it so easy to transition to the weekend with F&A. Kitchen had everything you could think of, and we brought our own groceries to have dinner Friday night, breakfast both Saturday and Sunday and lunch Saturday at the cottage. Bonus!! Since they are part of the Callaway resort I didn't have to bring the pack and plays, they were already in the cottage when we checked in. I love not having to lug those things places.

Mark spent all of Saturday on the lake system fishing. I think he enjoyed some peace and quiet. His catch wasn't all that bad either.
While Mark fished my momma and I took the boys into town and browsed the shops. I fell in love with a little place called Whisk—a local Williams-Sonoma of sorts where I wish I could have bought the entire store. I found a few good finds, as I seemingly always do.
After the boys woke up from their naps we walked around the property a bit. As part of the Easter weekend celebrations, the Gardens had tethered hot air balloon rides available, and I OF COURSE couldn't pass up the chance to live my own Bachelor moment.
I'm so glad we didn't let the rain stop us from having a good time. Well, until the Easter Bunny and his weird looking green friend showed up.
After that completely traumatizing experience we trucked back to the cottage to get ready for dinner. We originally weren't sure about the food offerings in town, but spotted 153 Main Bistro shopping and decided to try it for dinner. I am very glad we did!!
A local favorite, 153 Main knocked it out of the park. We sat at a sidewalk table, which was perfect for F&A. Side note: one of my favorite things to do is enjoy a nice meal with the people I love over a great bottle of wine on a sidewalk. Known for steak and seafood, all three of us chose various meat dishes. I really enjoyed my bistro steak. Momma couldn't stop raving about hers either. F&A completely devoured the fried green tomato and okra plate we ordered as a starter.
This restaurant was a pleasant surprise in Pine Mountain and should not be skipped! You can call ahead to put your name on the list—seats fill up fast on Saturday and Sunday.

We enjoyed Easter Sunday mass at Christ the King and followed it up with brunch in one of Callaway's ballrooms. It was a buffet style brunch in a ballroom, so not out of this world but not garbage either. 
After brunch Mark and I just weren't quite ready to leave and decided to walk around the famous Cecil B. Day Butterfly Center.
F&A absolutely LOVED seeing all the plants and swirling butterflies. Another activity on my list that should not be missed!
All in all, I would say Callaway is a great getaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...