Image Map

Wednesday, March 27

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington


My all time favorite movie is a '90's classic: "The American President."  Set in modern day DC, mainly The White House, the President of the United States meets and falls in love with a lobbyist. It really is the best movie in the world. There's politics! There's sex! There's a whack job stinky poop face! You should watch it as soon as possible. (& make sure to let me know, because I can quote pretty much the entire thing and it's usually amusing to see.) In one of the scenes from the movie, "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," a classic movie by Frank Capra, is referenced. IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT GOOGLE IT BECAUSE YOU'RE EMBARRASING ME. Hence the title of this trip recap! #endramble

Over this past weekend DCK and I flew out to Washington DC! We hung out with friends, took in the sights and rode the metro. We also ate. And then ate some more. And then decided we were really proud Americans.  

Washington this go 'round was such a different experience than it was when I last went. As an adult I appreciate more of the history. I, also, standing in the middle of the Library of Congress, realized I am a huge nerd. Like epic nerd. Like I was disappointed I didn't get to hear all the guest lectures they have scheduled this month, nerd. Mooooving on.

We took in the sights...
 Marveled at buildings filled with beauty...
 
Paid our respects to those before us...
  Froze our asses off...
Showed Dixieland pride...
Fangirled so hard (not because of Obama, but the aforementioned favorite movie!)
Walked all around Georgetown U in search of a souvenir for my Dad's personal sports bar...
Witnessed what true dedication and belief in a cause looked like... 
 These protestors slept in front of the SCOTUS in the snow and rain days before arguments were heard. Before the general masses got involved in the cause. These people showed up; heads held high as they listened to a crazy man protest Roe v. Wade in front of the hoards of varying middle school tour groups. These people amazed me. Love is the most important thing that God has given us—in any and all forms. These people reminded me.

We ate at some of the most amazing restaurants I literally can't bring myself to eat a meal in Montgomery. I was also too busy shoving the food in my face to take pictures, so just trust me. The. Food. Was. Sensational. Ooof. It was a wonderful weekend and despite the 3:30am wakeup call and 6:00am flight back yesterday, I wouldn't have changed a moment of it.

Oh, and we had been batting around a certain possible location for our next BIG trip and then saw this on one of our many metro rides. It was clearly a sign...
So, basically, here we come Reykjavik. Can't wait to meet you (and the Northern Lights) in January of 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...